💻 Tilde Social
A flat-file social network.
- CLI utility
- Future plans
- Release notes
Tilde Social is intended to be used on shared tilde servers (like tilde.town).
All of your data is contained in your home directory, and others read your files to display information.
User file system
When you initialize an account, you will have the following in your ~/.social directory:
- config - profile information
- following - list of users you are following
- posts - list of posts you've published
The network is interacted with via a single python script. On tilde.town it is globally linked as
You can use the following commands (example:
init- To create a new profile, it will ask you a few questions and generate files for you
users- View a list of users who have a profile
feed- View a feed of users you follow
local- View a feed of all users
me- View your profile
following- View a list of users you follow
followers- View a list of users who follow you
mentions- View a list of posts you're mentioned in
post Message to post- Post a new message, everything in the quotes will be posted
follow username- Follow a user
unfollow username- Unfollow a user
following username- View a list of users another uesr is following
followers username- View a list of users who follow a user
Here are some features I'd like to add in the future if there is enough people using it:
- Require posts to be in quotes
- Allow commands with usernames to have tildes
- Make post interactive "timeline post" and then a prompt for the text
- Add following and follows you to profiles
- Deleting a post from the CLI
- View a specific post thread
- Hashtag support
- Limit feed and local with a number, such as "timeline local 5"
- A more interactive tui application
- Statically generated html files for use in the browser?
- Remote following users on other tildes?
v1.0.11Added UTC to timestamp, added readme
v1.0.10Fixed bug where feed was backward
v1.0.9Fixed bug where specific user posts over 20 weren't loading
v1.0.8Resetting colors at the end of each line in a post, cleaned up whitespace between posts
v1.0.7Added following/follows you indicators on user list
v1.0.6Preventing future posts from displaying
v1.0.5Added support for multi-line posts, fixed bug where malformed posts are included in count limit
v1.0.4Updated to handle malformed posts
v1.0.3Added ability to post without wrapping your message in quotes
v1.0.2Added local timeline for all user posts
v1.0.1Updated timeline to include your own posts
v1.0.0Initial release with base functionality
👋 Hey! Thanks for reading! If you have any comments or questions about this post, or anything else, I'd love to chat! You can find the best way to contact me on my hello page.