Sweet&Sour Chickpea Rice Bowl
- Serves: 1
- 1-2 servings of cooked rice (google says one serving is around 1/3 cup = 70g uncooked rice per person)
- 1 red onion
- 1 bell pepper or 2-3 tiny ones
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger (around 2.5cm) or ground ginger
- oil for the pan
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- hot sauce to taste (I added 1/2 tsp)
- 2 tsp rice syrup (mirin) or alternative sweet syrup
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/2 can chickpeas (120g; 4,23oz)
- extra water to adjust the consistency
- sesame seeds; spring onion for serving
1. Cook the rice according to the packet.
2. Chop onion, pepper, and ginger.
3. Add oil to pan, bring to medium, sautee veg for 6-8 minutes.
4. combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Add soy sauce, Ketchup, rice syrup, white wine vinegar, and tomato puree.
5. Add to the pan along with half a can of chickpeas.
6. Bring the heat to medium high and simmer for another 6-8 minutes. As it simmers, add water to adjust consistency.
7. Leave to cool then pack in lunchbox.
This was good, I cooked it without hot sauce and pepper as I didn't have any and it would probably be better with those.
Source: Mina Rome (Youtube)