- Oil, for frying
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground tumeric
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 400g cans of chickpeas, drained
- 2 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
- 1 400g can of coconut milk
- 1/4tsp cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
- Heat enough oil to coat the bottom of a large saucepan over a medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and pepper and season with salt. Cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the garam masala, cumin, and turmeric and cook until fragrent (about 30 seconds)
- Add the carrots, chickpeas and tomatoes. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cover with a lid. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk, then simmer for 5 more minutes. Stir in the cayenne pepper if using
- Serve over rice
The ingredients list is not exactly short for this, but it's actually very easy to make.
Source: First Time Vegan, Leah Vanderveldt (ISBN 978-1-78879-062-8)