Summer 2017 tilde.town Census
First, I want to thank everyone who took some of their time to fill out the census. We had 46 responses and pretty much all of them were serious. Thank y'all so much for making this little experiment a success. So let's dive into looking at the responses.
How'd you first hear about town?
No matter how y'all found town, I'm glad you're here. 44% of the responses noted either the original
tilde.club and Paul Ford or the other tildes page. One individual responded, "i made it when i got an account on tilde.club but my friends couldn't because it filled up so fast." One can only imagine who that could be. There was also a bunch of referrals. ~vilmibm got the most mentions with ~xkeeper getting another few name drops.
What's your favorite activity around town?
Now this might be self selecting, since the survey was only predominantly shown outside of chat with one
wall message and a post on
bbj but 41% of the responders put chat as one of their favorite things to do around town. Next up came
botany. Thank you ~curiouser for making such a great little program. I know it always makes me happy to water my plant. A few people are super into the poetry people are writing around town. And one person said that one of their favorite things is "learning cool stuff from ~elly."
How old are you?
We have responses ranging from 10 to 37. Some of the other write in answers include "as old as time" and "yes, old" so we might be among immortals. Here is a list of all the numeric ages, sorted:
37, 36, 36, 36, 35, 34, 34, 33, 33, 31, 30, 30, 29, 28, 28, 28, 28, 28, 27, 27, 27, 26, 26, 25, 25, 24, 23, 23, 23, 22, 22, 21, 20, 20, 20, 19, 18, 14, 14, 10
Where are you from?
70% of responses said they were from the US. The two most popular cities were Los Angeles and Ottowa with 3 each. I'm pretty sure the furthest from anyone else would be the townie from Indonesia.
Personally I'm not quite sure how to analyze this data, but I'll be sanitizing it and putting it up in my home directory in a few days.
Does pineapple belong on pizza?
If you program, what are some of your favorite languages?
Python dominated this category with 24 mentions with C following it with only 10 mentions. Overall, there were 31 individual languages mentioned. It's great to see such a diverse collection of languages being used by y'all. Here's the raw data for that chart:
Swift 1, ActionScript 1, Scala 1, Forth 1, Qbasic 1, Sass 1, Elixir 1, Erlang 1,
Lua 1, OCaml 1, Emily 1, Factor 1, Clojure 1, Haskell 2, Typescript 2, HTML 2,
Perl 5, PHP 5, Go 5, Ruby 6, C 10, Python 24
How many times a month do you send mail to your fellow townies?
50% of responses said they don't send mail. Only 4 individuals send more than 3 a month.
Any cool things you want to share?
Here are some responses:
- pinhook is chock full of features
- Sharks have two penises
- My page. It's cool. https://tilde.town/~resir014/
- Not yet, just getting started
- the town brings me a lot of joy and all the work i've put into it has felt completely worth it.
- Tomatoes are not actually vegetables, they are actually a capitalist construct of subjugation of the working class.
- hi mom
- everyone in town is so cool and smart and it makes me want to be better. also, everyone pls go listen to wonder girls' reboot album thx
- Make sure to update your song of the day with !supdate in #tildetown, #bots, or #sotd :)
- town has kept me tolerant of people with differing views than mine even when others would be hot-headed.
- I'm so glad to still be the town evangelist!
- lookup how you get the eltonbrand in morrowind, its nuts
Are marshmallows candy?
The ayes have it.
What's the favorite thing you've learned from town?
Here's all of them:
- bash aliases, how did i not know about those
- That bots are our friends.
- More HTML
- the chords of the pokemon theme song
- how to
- UNIX is hard.
- many people exist who share our values and dreams
- how receptive people are to sincerity, openness, and patience.
- techincal stuff: mosh, vim, hugo, default access permissions on a linux box. non-technical (more important): being there for ppl without wanting any sort of reciprocity
- I remember asking a question the first time I came here, and got some great feedback, but i cannot, for the life of me, remember what it was or what it was about.
- keep the honey flowing will be my new philosophy /karlen/
- Various UNIX tricks
- tmux + mosh
- How to tunnel over SSH for IRC
- Probably about Starbound, so far. At least I spend the most time playing starbound.
- building CLI programs is awesome
- How to correctly declare HTML code properly
- That crux is a really welcoming distribution
- How to utilize a Cinco-de-Mayo based calendar.
- It's okay to build things and share them with other people. Sometimes they like what you make!
- Empathetic skills
- how to tmux like a 1337 h4x0r
- i don't think i've learned anything as much as i've just had a nice chance to be around cool people
- Bots are people too.
- it's been fun to see people's creative projects
- that sharing a computer can be the best experience
- radical inclusivity
- Python bot programming
- Well, before town I was a directionless bum, and now I make money Linuxing, so there's that
- about people <3
- Introductory chinese from m455
How're you doing today?
- ... :/
- Pretty great, enjoying the low temps
- pretty relaxed, thanks for asking
- Well, thank you!
- Pretty average, I guess?
- fine :D how abt you?
- comfortable could be better
- I'm really good, thank you! Hope you're doing well too.
- it's been exhausting for reasons that feel inexplicable
- Pretty good, I'm alive.
- It's too hot... >.>;;
- It's a lovely day so far, weather is nice and I had a bagel for breakfast. Thanks for asking!
- Alright; I had a long day at work
- pretty good!
- im doing aight, should be grinding aha
- Pretty good
- about a 5
- I've been better honestly but I love you selsky
- Meh, need coffee.
- Good! Just got back from vacation where I played in the world's largest pinball tournament
- Super great
- A bit out of it
- Tired, but doing well!
- bit excited to due university admission test tomorrow
- pretty good
- pretty good
- ok i gess
- dandy as dandelions, thanks! how are you?
- pretty alright
- Pretty good.
- Not too bad.
What's got you excited for August?
- NORTH AMERICAN SOLAR ECLIPSE
- the end of summer and some cooler temperatures
- Marching band.
- ya, gonna build me a mechanical keyboard
- The Solar Eclipse is in like 2 weeks!
- It's already August here, so I got nothing to be excited for.
- PAX in Seattle
- tilde town
- precisely nothing
- Life in general
- Summer's almost halfway over...
- The end of summer.
- Road trip
- no idea, maybe doing [insert completely legal psychoactive substance] for first time
- being done with some stressful things. seeing my family.
- more and more biking
- Rick and Morty
- maybe new job :)
- work, I gotta get this shit out and maybe some cash flow u feel
- Ooft. Rick and Morty season 3, and also its so close to halloween.
- one month closer to autumn
- beach tiiiiime
- there's a conference I'm going to later in the week
- The September cooldown
- new car!
- Closer to PSL season
- Summer (which means heat) is closer to being over
- It should start cooling off after August, hopefully!
- fucking summer never ends
- that's a tough question right now, my plans for gaining more freedom i guess
- My birthday
- I got my raise :)
- my birthday
- sister's birthday
I'm keeping the last few questions to myself for now since they were more about the census. If you have anything else you want to say about the census or questions you want asked next time, please send me an email or find me on chat. I'm thinking of holding these every few months. Thank y'all once again for taking the survey and I'll see you around town.