hi, i'm vilmibm
in the flesh i play an avatar called nate smith
computers are pointless unless used to create emotionally compelling and beautiful things
so let's do that together
natesmith @ hey dot com | home page | twitter
qualifications and buzzwords
- 11 years of programming experience at all levels of the tech stack.
- Frameworks: Django, Rails, Sinatra, Tornado, Flask
- Datastores: PostgreSQL, MySQL, Redis
- SaaS: New Relic, Sumologic, Sentry, Grafana, EC2, S3, Digital Ocean
- Tools: git, tmux, GitHub, Ubuntu, vim
2/2018 - present. Senior Application Developer.
- Go, Ruby, Rails
- Co-author of the GitHub CLI
- I have been involved in the CLI project from the beginning, helping shape it both
technologically and culturally
- Prior to the CLI team I lead work on an internal Rails-based tool for managing Enterprise
8/2016 - 12/2017. Member of Technical Staff.
- Python, Django, Tornado, MySQL, Redis, MongoDB, New Relic, Sumologic, Sentry
- Led major rewrites of identity verification, notification, and email systems
- Led emergency initiatives for complying with audit requests and mitigating payment outages
- Managed a zero-downtime major migration of our Redis infrastructure
5/2013 - 8/2016. Software Engineer.
- Clojure, Java, Ruby, PostgreSQL, jgit
- Acted as team lead for Puppet Enterprise's RBAC implementation, managing
architecture design, coding, and delegation of work
puppetdb-ruby, a Ruby client for the PuppetDB API
- Contributed to jgit-based file storage in puppetserver
- Implemented X.509 based inter-node security layer for Puppet Server deployments
Cox Media Group, Digital
1/2011 - 4/2013. Lead Developer.
- Python, PostgreSQL, Django, New Relic
- Led rewrite of advertising system (front+backend), reducing page load time by 6 seconds
- Wrote framework for semi-realtime front-end widgets used for comments, ads, and other features
lazythumbs, a high performance thumbnail processing service for Django
- Scaled a Django app and its PostgreSQL database to handle millions of hits a day
5/2009 - 12/2010. Web Application Developer.
- Perl, PostgreSQL, CGI::Application
- Led development of customized RSS feeds for pet searches on Adopt-A-Pet
- Led development of adoptable pet photo gallery tool for animal shelters
- Helped institute Summersault's first use of cloud technology (EC2)
9/07 - 12/09. Workstudy programmer.
- Perl, PHP, Oracle DB
- Maintained Earlham's in-house course registration system
- Mentored younger students on web application development
Summer 2008. Pre-Professional Intern.
- Python, C, Ganglia, z/VM
- Developed a prototype hypervisor monitoring tool in C and Python
tilde.town - 2014 - now
- social media was making me feel bad and I wanted to hang out inside a computer
- I founded this social linux server as a safe, non-commercial place to digitally hang out
- I have worked to foster a creative, inclusive, mutually supportive community
- I do moderation, mentorship, and administration with the help of a few volunteers
Django Girls PDX - 2015 - 2017
- Co-organized the majority of DGPDX's six workshops, managing fundraising and
- Wrote the Chromebook section of the Django Girls Tutorial, ensuring
attendees to any Django Girls workshop around the world could get setup to
code with ChromeOS.
- Coached at multiple events, teaching programming fundamentals and web
concepts to groups of 3-4 women new to programming.
- Delivered short lectures on HTTP basics and Web history
Code For Good - 2017
- Co-organized a volunteer event pairing software engineers with local non-profits
- Met with a number of local non-profits to determine what their needs are
- Architect and project manager for three non-profits' Django projects
- Bachelors in Computer Science, Earlham College. Graduated with honors 2009.
- Recipient of Charles A. Frueauff Award for Creativity in Computer Science.
- Certificate in Poetry, Independent Publishers Resource Center. Completed 2016.
talks and publications
(see https://github.com/vilmibm for more)
- tildemush (Python, postgresql).
Scriptable multiplayer text-based virtual world. Designed and Implemented pedagogically oriented scripting langauge, WITCH.
- tilde.town (Ubuntu, Puppet, AWS). A social Linux server with nearly 1,000 users. As the sole admin, I automate system tasks and foster empathetic community.
- prosaic (Python, NLTK, postgresql). Prose analyzer and poetry generation software.
- trapperkeeper-authorization (Clojure, OpenSSL). Contributed X.509 based node authorization.
- puppetdb-ruby (Ruby, PuppetDB). Original author, but no longer maintainer.
- murepl (Clojure). A multiuser Clojure REPL that doubles as a MUD.
- nodeunit-b (Node.js). Unit testing framework that uses jsdom to run JS tests outside of a browser.