tilde.town code of conduct
tl;dr: Be kind to each other. Think carefully about the words you use. Think carefully about what content you post and promote.
A primary goal of tilde.town is to be inclusive to the largest number of community members, with the most varied and diverse backgrounds possible. As such, we are committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, ability, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and religion (or lack thereof).
This code of conduct outlines our expectations for all those who participate in our community, as well as the consequences for unacceptable behavior.
We invite all those who participate in tilde.town to help create safe and positive experiences for everyone.
2. Vision of tilde.town
tilde.town exists to provide a safe, non-judgemental, and fun place to explore creative projects and to seek intentional digital community.
In a post-facebook age, it is up to small communities to gather and work together to provide a space outside of the advertising-laden, corporate mediated world of social media.
To that end, tilde.town strives to be a radically inclusive community where people of all backgrounds and all technological experience levels can come together for peer education, to delight in one another's creations and to make good conversation.
3. Expected Behavior
- Participate in an authentic and active way. In doing so, you contribute to the health and longevity of tilde.town.
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions.
- Attempt collaboration before conflict.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- If anyone asks you to stop a particular kind of behavior, always err on the side of respecting their wishes. If you believe their request is unreasonable or unfair, ask an admin, but don't respond with hostility.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants. Alert community leaders if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this code of conduct, even if they seem inconsequential.
4. Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behaviors include: intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory or demeaning speech or actions by any tilde.town user online, at any related events, or in one-on-one communication carried out in the conduct of tilde.town related projects. Community event venues--physical or digital--may be shared with members of the public; please be respectful to all patrons of these locations.
Harassment includes: harmful or prejudicial verbal or written comments related to gender, age, sexual orientation, race, religious choices, disability; inappropriate use of nudity and/or sexual images in public spaces (like your \~ html pages); deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following; harassing recording; sustained disruption of the work of others; and unwelcome sexual attention.
5. Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behavior from any community member, including those with decision making authority or sudo, will not be tolerated.
Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately. If a community member engages in unacceptable behavior, the tilde.town admins may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including a temporary ban or permanent expulsion from tilde.town (meaning your user account would be revoked) without warning.
6. If You Witness or Are Subject to Unacceptable Behavior
If you are subject to or witness unacceptable behavior, or have any other concerns, please see the Contact Information section below.
Additionally, help engaging with law enforcement is always available.
7. Addressing Grievances
If you feel you have been falsely or unfairly accused of violating this code of conduct, use the Contact Information section below to send a concise description of your grievance.
We expect all tilde.town members to abide by this code of conduct while:
- engaging with other users locally on the server
- publishing content hosted on tilde.town
- engaging in community activities, whether in meatspace or cyberspace
9. Contact Information
Volunteer / part-time admins:
Admins can be reached privately:
- on IRC using
/msg vilmibm hello
- via local tilde.town email, e.g.
- or via normal internet e-mail at the addresses listed above.
10. License and Attribution
last compiled: 2019-02-03 15:31:20.521898